Ok so, Based on what Miss has been covering with you,
looking at textures and surfaces of clay, and particularly the work of heather
Knight who builds up a surface using a variety of techniques…
I thought I would explore how we can make interesting and
intriguing surfaces by, effectively the opposite approach.
Instead of building up on the clay, adding and creating our
own texture from scratch, I played with the idea of creating
an impression by finding objects and things with an interesting surface texture
which could translate well into a negative impression in the surface of the clay.
Does everyone/anyone know what I mean by making an
impression or a print on the surface?
Yes? Go on then does anyone want to tell me?
Ok so, I’m taking the object and using a variety of methods
to leave that imprint.
1. One
method would be as I have done here, take the object and literally push
it into the clay until im satisfied that the clay has been
pushed into all the little nooks and crannies of the objects surface. This
works particularly well with things such as bark, nails, or when
creating a pattern like holes etc. – You can also extend upon this and roll
the object if possible such as pine cones and pick up on a repeated
pattern.
2. Second
method would be to place the object on the surface of the
clay, and roll it into the clay using a roller or pin to create an evenly
distributed amount of pressure. This method is best when taking imprints
of whole objects that are quite small or fine such as flowers, leaves and hairs.
This is because more of the object is picked up by being effectively flattened.
3. Here
(show holes and raised) I have a combination approach where areas have been
removed and those remnants have been added. This created a surface with
effectively three depths and elements to it. Negative space,
and medium and raised positive space.
4. Using
objects to draw/cut or press a desired effect such as with forks,
paintbrushes, cocktail sticks etc.
Whats nice about these types of prints is the outcome can
be quite unpredictable and organic when using found natural surfaces. You can
make something more precise by using a very solid object or tool.
There are many ways to get interesting patterns in your
clay. Look around your house, particularly your kitchen etc as
there are bound to be tools and surface such as forks, knifes and pins to
create textures and surfaces. Look in the garden for things like I have here,
pine cones, feathers, leaves, branches and bark etc,
or around school for objects and items…
You will start to see all kinds of things that can make
good textures. Rocks, the bottom of your shoe, the end of a paintbrush, a
pencil. The list really is endless.
Is everyone clear on those approaches and processes?
What do we think of them? Has anyone got any thoughts?
Likes/Dislikes?
Does anyone want to have a quick go before carrying on with
your own work?
FEEDBACK AND SELF REFLECTION
After the lesson starter, I felt that I could have been more confident. My nerves got the better of me and i rushed through what I wanted to say. I missed out a great deal and failed to cover everything that I had planned to. My resources and preparation therefore were not utilised fully.
However, the class were engaged in what I had to say, they listened well and incorporated my ideas in their work.Overall positive, but key focus points are:
- confidence
- presence
- nerves
- Use of powerpoint would make the info easier to discuss.
No comments:
Post a Comment